Armstrong opts against appeal

According to an announcement by the Court of Arbitration for Sport, the deadline to appeal a ruling that stripped Lance Armstrong’s name from cycling’s record books passed uncontested.

The UCI notified Armstrong on December 6 that he had until December 27 to appeal his lifetime ban. After this, the IOC can now demand that the cyclist returns the time-trial bronze medal he won at the Sydney Olympics in 2000.

The world’s most famous cyclist who won the Tour de France seven times in a row had said he did not intend to appeal the ruling. All of the achievements of the cyclist since 1998, the second phase of his career after he beat cancer, have been erased by the International Cycling Union (UCI). The world governing body of cycling informed the 41-year-old retired cyclist of the decision and his right to appeal on December 6.

The cyclist published a letter at the time and said he would cease all attempts to appeal or contest the charges against him, saying the process had become too much of a strain on his family. Lance Armstrong  called the US doping body’s investigations against him as a “charade” in the open letter. Armstrong wrote, saying the proceedings had become a “pointless distraction” and added that he will no longer address this issue, regardless of the circumstances. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) had said while considering its decision to strip the cyclist of the Olympic bronze medal that it is waiting on the resolution of the UCI case before deciding how to proceed. The cyclist won time trial Bronze at the Sydney Games in 2000.With this development, the Tours de France of 1999-2005 where Armstrong had finished first in all of them now officially have no winner.

The International Cycling Union’s Enrico Carpani had remarked the lawyer of Armstrong was notified on 6th December that all his results since 1st August 1998 were nullified and he has 21 days to appeal (from that date). The 41-year-old Armstrong was banned for life and all his seven Tour de France victories were scratched from the records after the UCI ratified the United States Anti-Doping Agency’s (USADA) sanctions against him. The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said the now-retired rider had been involved in the “most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen.” Eleven of the former teammates of Armstrong accused him of not only being a willing participant, but the ringleader, and ordering team mates to cheat. USADA claimed that in addition to 26 people giving sworn testimony, including 11 former teammates, it also had financial payments, emails, and laboratory test results that proved the use of performance enhancing drugs by Armstrong and the U.S. Postal Service team.

IOC President Jacques Rogge told reporters on December 5 that the International Olympic Committee will not move because we need to have the situation whereby the UCI notifies officially Mr Armstrong of the fact that he will be disqualified and declared ineligible and that he should hand over his medal and added that Mr Armstrong will have 21 days to launch an appeal when he will be notified and it is only after that period that the IOC can legally take action.

pdf_iconDownload in PDF: Armstrong Opts Against Appeal

Comments

comments