New York Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia has claimed he was the victim of a conspiracy after he was issued a lifetime doping ban by Major League Baseball.

The 26-year-old Dominican right-hander told the New York Times that MLB officials were out to get him in a witch hunt. Mejia also blamed officials of the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPS) for not finding grounds to appeal his punishment.

Mejia tested positive for Boldenone last month that was his third positive test for a banned performance enhancing substance in less than a year after which he was banned for life. Mejia claimed he was only guilty of the first violation and added the second positive test was not accurate and he was pressurized by MLB officials to share information about his doping connections. The Mets pitcher said he felt there was a conspiracy against him and also remarked he feels that they were trying to find something to bring me down in his career. Mejia, who was named the Mets’ closer in May 2014, said they will find a way to find a third positive if he appealed the results of the second test.

The Dominican professional baseball pitcher who played for the New York Mets of Major League Baseball was suspended for the first 80 games of the 2015 season after he tested positive for Stanozolol, a performance enhancing drug. In July 2015, he received his second suspension after a second failed test for Stanozolol and Boldenone and a third positive was reported on February 12, 2016, resulting in his permanent suspension from Major League Baseball. The lifetime ban imposed on Mejia also prohibits him from playing Professional baseball leagues in other countries, including Japan, South Korea, and Mexico. However, Mejia could apply for reinstatement in one year to MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred but he is then expected to sit out a minimum of two seasons before he could be reinstated to pitch in Major League Baseball.

The claim of Mejia was denied by Pat Courtney, a spokesman for Major League Baseball. Courtney remarked no one at MLB or representing MLB has met with Mejia regarding any of these drug violations.

Born in Dominican Republic, Mejia developed an interest in baseball after he realized that large signing bonuses were paid to players. His skills got the attention of many teams like the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees and he signed with the Mets for $16,500 at the age of 17 in 2007. Jenrry Mejia was named the 48th best prospect in the major leagues in the MLB.com Midseason Top 50 Prospect list after his success in the 2009 season. The Mets assigned him after the 2009 season to the Surprise Rafters of the Arizona Fall League and Mejia was ranked as the 56th best prospect in all of baseball by Baseball America in February 2010. Mejia made major league debut on April 7, 2010 and presently remains under control of the New York Mets until the end of his current contract.

pdf_iconDownload in PDF: Mejia Claims Conspiracy By MLB Over His Doping Ban

Comments

comments