26/05/2020 9:10 pm Welcome to isteroids.com - BLOG

Thursday 21, Mar 2013

  Spanish Doping Doctor May Shame Football And Other Sports

Posted By
Pin it Share on Tumblr

Spanish Doping Doctor May Shame Football And Other Sports

The doctor at the center of the massive Operation Puerto blood doping trial has told the court that he would name the clients whose blood has been seized.

Eufemiano Fuentes, who is on trial for allegedly running a doping network in cycling and ran one of sport’s largest blood-doping rings, threatened to name all his former clients. The Spanish doctor made the offer through reporters during Spain’s Operation Puerto trial. Fuentes remarked that if the World Anti-Doping Agency and the Spanish drugs authorities consider that he can be useful and sought his help, he would be willing. He added that this would not be done for a reduced sentence but rather so there is mutual collaboration and also remarked they can have his client list if they want. Till now, only 54 cyclists, including Alberto Contador, Ivan Basso, Jan Ullrich, and Alejandro Valverde, have been personally implicated in the scandal.

Fuentes has admitted to having worked with people in football, tennis, boxing, and athletics and said cycling only comprised 30 percent of his work. This change of heart came as the world governing body of cycling urged the judge to show no leniency. The doctor faces up to two-and-a-half years in jail on public health charges and the five defendants on trial, including the Spanish doctor’s sister, Yolanda, will have one final opportunity to address the court on April 2 before sentencing commences. The defendants have been appearing in court since late January, almost seven years after police seized anabolic steroids, transfusion equipment and blood bags as part of an investigation code-named “Operation Puerto”.

The trial proceedings have attracted international scrutiny and attention as anti-doping authorities are hopeful that it will finally lead to evidence of wrongdoing by athletes in sports other than cycling. Previously, a request by WADA for access to the blood bags was repeatedly denied by the Spanish authorities and the World Anti-Doping Agency awaits the ruling of the judge on their latest petition. Since the current anti-doping legislation of Spain was not in force in 2006 when the police raids took place, the defendants are tried for violating public health regulations with the prosecutor asking for jail sentences of two years.

In the past, German cyclist Joerg Jaksche told the Operation Puerto trial that the treatment he received from the Spanish doctor was designed to beat doping controls and had nothing to do with genuine health issues. Italian rider Ivan Basso, a double Giro d’Italia champion, told the court that he had blood extracted on three occasions at the clinic of another doctor implicated in the case but never had any reinjected. Spanish cyclist Angel Vicioso told the judge he had only met with Eufemiano Fuentes for sporadic medical consultations. Former cyclist Marcos Serrano contradicted testimony from former team director Manolo Saiz, one of the five defendants along with Fuentes, by saying he never personally sought out medical treatment from the disgraced Spanish doctor. Two-time Tour de France winner Alberto Contador who was originally scheduled to appear as a witness was told he would not be required to appear in court after Manolo Saiz’s attorney renounced the witness statement he had requested from the cyclist.

pdf_iconDownload in PDF: Spanish Doping Doctor May Shame Football And Other Sports

Tuesday 24, Jan 2012

  Seven to face trial in doping scandal

Posted By
Pin it Share on Tumblr

Seven people accused in Operation Puerto doping scandal in cycling would be finally stand trial in Spain, facing up to two years in prison.

More than 50 cyclists were implicated, including three-time Tour de France champion Alberto Contador, Ivan Basso, Jan Ullrich, and Alejandro Valverde, in the use of performance-enhancing substances or practices.

Valverde is the only Spanish rider who has been punished using Puerto evidence.

Monday 09, Jan 2012

  Seven to face trial in dope scandal

Posted By
Pin it Share on Tumblr

Seven people linked to Operation Puerto doping scandal in cycling would be finally stand trial in Spain, facing up to two years in prison.

More than 50 cyclists – including three-time Tour de France champion Alberto Contador, Ivan Basso, Jan Ullrich, and Alejandro Valverde – in the use of performance-enhancing substances or practices were implicated.

Valverde is the only rider from Spain who has been punished using Puerto evidence.

Saturday 31, Dec 2011

  Trial for seven doping scandal accused

Posted By
Pin it Share on Tumblr

Seven people linked to Operation Puerto doping scandal of cycling would face trial in Spain, facing nearly two years in prison.

Sports doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, former Liberty Seguros team boss Manolo Saiz and five others arrested in 2006 on suspicion to offer doping services to cyclists will be tried, Madrid’s Superior Court said in a statement.

In May 2006, bags of blood, blood transfusion equipment, and anabolic steroids were found by Spanish authorities from raids in Zaragoza and Madrid.

Thursday 09, Dec 2010

  Vinokourov wins Liège Classic after serving doping ban

Posted By
Pin it Share on Tumblr

Vinokourov wins Liège Classic after serving doping banAlexandre Vinokourov of Kazakhstan recently beat Russian Kolobnev in sprint finish to win the Liège-Bastogne-Liège Classic for the second time in his career.

Vinokourov, who returned from a blood doping suspension last autumn, won the dash to the line to take his second win in the race.

This is most significant victory for Vinokourov ever since he returned to cycling after serving a doping ban.

Friday 03, Dec 2010

  Request to release Valverde blood samples rejected

Posted By
Pin it Share on Tumblr

Request to release Valverde blood samples rejectedA request from Italian anti-doping authorities to receive a blood sample they want to test as part of an investigation into cyclist Alejandro Valverde’s involvement was recently rejected by a Spanish judge.

Valverde has been summoned to make an appearance before the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) for discussing a possible violation of anti-doping rules.

Doping is not termed as a criminal offence in Spain though those who supply banned substances could be tried for a violation of public health.

Thursday 02, Dec 2010

  Cycling records could be probed, says Spanish federation

Posted By
Pin it Share on Tumblr

Cycling records could be probed, says Spanish federationThe Spanish Cycling Federation (RFEC) will be asking authorities for records and test results pertaining to the recently reopened Operation Puerto probe into an alleged doping ring.

According to an official, who refused to be named, the federation will ask for the Puerto records from the judge.

Spanish sports paper AS recently reported that the federation was looking to punish cyclists and technical staff implicated in the investigation.

Wednesday 03, Nov 2010

  Alejandro Valverde to miss two editions of Tour de France

Posted By
Pin it Share on Tumblr

Alejandro Valverde to miss two editions of Tour de FranceSpain’s Alejandro Valverde will miss the next two editions of the Tour de France after he has handed over a ban of two years by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) for violation of anti-doping rules.

The ban was imposed by CAS, backdated to start January 1, after evidence linking the Tour of Spain champion to the Operation Puerto anti-doping investigation was accepted.

All results of Valverde since Jan. 1 would be annulled and he would be ordered to pay back any prize money, according to the International Cycling Union (UCI).

Monday 01, Nov 2010

  Alejandro Valverde charged for involvement in Operacion Puerto doping scandal

Posted By
Pin it Share on Tumblr

Alejandro Valverde charged for involvement in Operacion Puerto doping scandalCaisse D’espargne rider Alejandro Valverde has been charged with being involved in Spain’s Operacion Puerto doping scandal, according to the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI).

The Spanish rider expressed “surprise and indignation” at being charged for an offence he had not committed.

Valverde reaffirmed before an Italian anti-doping hearing that he was innocent of any wrongdoings but CONI has now decided to charge the Spaniard.