27/01/2020 10:35 am Welcome to isteroids.com - BLOG

Tuesday 28, Apr 2015

  Lee Chong Wei To Be Banned For Eight Months

Posted By
Pin it Share on Tumblr

Lee Chong Wei To Be Banned For Eight Months

Lee Chong Wei, Malaysian Chinese professional badminton player, will be banned for eight months from competitive badminton. Wei was facing a two-year ban but news of this reduced suspension has delighted him and his fans.

According to media reports, the ban on Wei would be backdated from August 30 last year and he will now be able to compete in competitions from May 1. This also means Lee Chong Wei can now compete in the Sudirman Cup in Dongguan next month and the World Championships in Jakarta in August and the SEA Games in Singapore in June.

Wei tested positive for Dexamethasone, a banned anti-inflammatory drug, at the World Championships in Copenhagen last year where he lost in the final to China’s Chen Long. The Badminton World Federation (BWF) temporarily suspended Wei who claimed he received the drug for injury treatment in July last year.

Malaysian Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin had remarked Dexamethasone was not administered to Datuk Lee Chong Wei by doctors at the National Sports Institute (ISN) but by a specialist sports clinic in Kuala Lumpur as part of stem cell treatment for an injury. Jamaluddin added Dexamethasone is allowed for out-of-competition athletes seeking treatment for injuries and also had said that traces remain in the body for 10 days but in this case, we are not sure why it lasted longer than that.

The entire country supported its most favorite sports icon. Dr Patrick Yung Shu-hang, executive director of the Hong Kong Jockey Club Sports Medicine and Health Sciences Centre, said using Dexamethasone to improve the performance of a badminton player would have minimal impact and he had great sympathy for Lee.

Yung, who is also a consultant in the Department of Orthopedics & Traumatology of Prince Wales Hospital, said Dexamethasone is a kind of corticosteroids used therapeutically to treat inflammations, asthma and arthritis and it is different from anabolic steroids which are synthetic substances for promoting the growth of skeletal muscle for the purpose of enhancing sporting performance. Yung also remarked that Dexamethasone is very common in medical treatment and it is not banned during out-of-competition period and said there has long been debate indeed on whether this substance should be removed from the doping list.

American cyclist Yosmani Pol Rodriguez was banned in 2012 for a period of two years after an in-competition urine sample collected during the Delray Beach Twilight Criterium.

Yung remarked Dexamethasone can help cyclists relieve high-altitude training-related sicknesses such as acute mountain sickness, pulmonary edema and headaches, and hence indirectly enhance performance but he can’t see any significant help for a badminton player.

Dr Yvonne Yuan Wai-yi, the former head of the Hong Kong Doping Committee, said if Lee’s B sample remains the same, he may only be able to cut down the penalty if he has a very good reason of unintentional use. Yuan added it will be difficult but, on the international scene, there are always political reasons behind final judgments and also remarked if Lee could prove he has no significant fault in the case, a sanction may be reduced.

pdf_iconDownload in PDF: Lee Chong Wei To Be Banned For Eight Months

Saturday 27, Dec 2014

  Lee Chong Wei To Lose Top Badminton Ranking

Posted By
Pin it Share on Tumblr

Lee Chong Wei To Lose Top Badminton Ranking

Malaysia’s ace badminton player Lee Chong Wei, who was temporarily suspended from competition by the Badminton World Federation (BWF), will lose his top badminton ranking.

The 32-year-old Lee has held the number one ranking for the last six years with the exception of a few weeks when Chinese Olympic champion Lin Dan became the top-ranked player in 2012. Lee, as a singles player, was ranked first worldwide for 199 consecutive weeks from 21 August 2008 to 14 June 2012.

Lee is the only Malaysian shuttler to hold the number one ranking for more than a year. The most successful Malaysian Olympian in history was once described by Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak as a national hero. Lee was appointed as UNICEF Malaysia’s National Ambassador in February 2009.

Last month, Lee was suspended by BWF after he tested positive for Dexamethasone, the illegal anti-inflammatory drug, at the World Championships in August. Lee has expressed confidence that he can clear his name after a hearing is conducted by the BWF into the case next year. If Lee fails with his appeal, he could be stripped of the silver medal he won at the world championships in Copenhagen in August.

According to the anti-doping regulations, the drug is illegal for use during competitions but can be used by athletes out of competition for injury rehabilitation. Lee remarked Dexamethasone was injected into him for a thigh injury treatment and the last Dexamethasone injection was administered to him in July. Lee expressed surprise how the drug was in his body after a long time and added that he used the drug after consultations with the National Sports Institute.

Lee remarked there is no way he could have administered Dexamethasone into his body by himself and added he had lost big matches before but he always bounced back without fail. After his positive test, Lee thanked fans for their support and denied using drugs to gain an advantage.

Lee could face an eventual suspension of up to two years. He however expressed concerns that he may never realize his dreams to win the World and Olympic titles if the BWF decides to suspend him for a long time. The 32-year-old veteran won silver medals at the Beijing 2008 and London 2012 Olympics, as well as at the 2011, 2013 and 2014 World Championships. He has failed to win the World and Olympic titles despite reaching world and Olympic finals for a couple of times. Lee was defeated by China’s rising star Chen Long in straight sets in the final during the World Championships in late August.

Chinese world champion Chen Long will take the top spot after his World SuperSeries Finals triumph in Dubai. Chen, who is presently ranked second, collected valuable points when he won the Denmark Open in October and the SuperSeries Finals on Sunday, when he defeated Dane Hans-Kristian Vittinghus.

Long becomes the second Chinese to top the men’s singles rankings after Lin Dan. Lee ranked second and Jan Jorgensen of Denmark third while Indian K Srikanth climbed two spots to number four.

pdf_iconDownload in PDF: Lee Chong Wei To Lose Top Badminton Ranking

Wednesday 19, Nov 2014

  Badminton Rocked With Wei Doping Ban

Posted By
Pin it Share on Tumblr

Badminton Rocked With Wei Doping Ban

Malaysian badminton ace Lee Chong Wei may never realize his long-cherished dream of becoming the Olympic and World champion after he was suspended in a doping scandal that has rocked the sport.

Lee, the world no. 1, is temporarily barred from competition by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) after he tested positive to the banned anti-inflammatory Dexamethasone. Lee now faces the risk of an eventual suspension of up to two years.

The 32-year-old remarked if he is suspended for a long time, it will affect his chances of becoming a world champion next year and also win the Olympic gold medal in 2016. Lee has never been able to win either of the sport’s two major prizes despite topping the badminton rankings for years and reaching five world and Olympic finals. The World No. 1 International Badminton Player remarked it has always been his dream to win both titles and it is also the reason why he took up the sport.

It was recently announced by the BWF that Lee was suspended due to an apparent anti-doping regulation violation. The world-governing body imposed the suspension because of an Adverse Analytical Finding of a sample taken at the BWF World Championships in August. The Badminton World Federation has referred the matter to the BWF Doping Hearing Panel and the Chair of the Panel will set the date, time, and location of the hearing to find out whether or not Lee has committed an anti-doping regulation violation.

After the doping news broke out, Lee Chong Wei withdrew from Hong Kong Open where he was the defending champion. The world number one was in the initial entry list but his number one seed position was replaced by Chen Long of China, the world number two, for the US$350,000 tournament at Hong Kong Coliseum from November 18-23. Hong Kong team head coach Tim He Yiming remarked of his absence that Lee’s absence is a big shock. He added Lee is always well received in Hong Kong and is a household name, not only because of his skills, but also his pleasant attitude as a gentleman and a player and went on to add that we know little about the alleged doping case and, hopefully, it can be cleared sooner and not later.

Lee is the most successful Malaysian Olympian in history. He was a silver medalist in both the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Games. Lee Chong Wei was ranked first worldwide for 199 consecutive weeks from 21 August 2008 to 14 June 2012 and is the only Malaysian shuttler to hold the number one ranking for more than a year.

Lee’s badminton potential rose dramatically after he was discovered by Misbun Sidek, a Malaysian former badminton player who was rated among world’s leading men’s singles players of the 1980s. Lee was appointed as UNICEF Malaysia’s National Ambassador in February 2009 and his silver medal effort in the 2008 Olympic Games was a reason behind with a Darjah Setia Pangkuan Negeri (DSPN) that carried the title Dato’ by Governor of Penang, Tun Abdul Rahman Abbas on 30 August 2008.

pdf_iconDownload in PDF: Badminton Rocked With Wei Doping Ban

Thursday 06, Sep 2012

  Temporary Bans Slapped On Scandal-Tainted Shuttlers

Posted By
Pin it Share on Tumblr

Temporary bans slapped on scandal tainted shuttlers

The Indonesian women’s doubles pair involved in a thrown-match Olympic scandal has been slapped with a ban of four months by the Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) as the accused players indulged in unfair sport practices for securing a more favorable draw later in the London Olympics 2012.

Women’s doubles duo Greysia Polii and Meiliana Jauhari were one of four pairs who were disqualified at London Olympics 2012 for attempting to lose a match in an effort to secure a more favorable quarter-final draw. Coach Paulus Firman has also been hit with the same sanction and the sanction will be backdated to the incident in August.

The suspension means Greysia Polii cannot participate in the PON Riau 2012 that will take place from 9 to 19 September 2012 in Pekanbaru. It would also mean that Polii and Meiliana cannot participate in the Indonesia Open Grand Prix Gold 2012 this month in Palembang as well as Japan Open and China Open. Meiliana Jauhari told a local daily newspaper that she would accept decision of the PBSI and she and her partner are known to have asked to be able to play in local tournaments.

The poor performance of Indonesia in London Olympics prompted the national body to call back former Olympic gold medalist Hendra Setiawan who will partner Muhammad Ahsan; the duo would make their debuts together on the international stage in Denmark and French Super Series in October.

South Korea initially hit their four players, Jung Kyung-eun, Kim Ha-na, Ha Jung-eun, and Kim Min-jung, with lifetime bans but then reduced the ban to two years and then six months. Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang (who retired after her disqualification) of China, who had been top seeds, were asked to render a public apology by their national association.

All the four badminton players were charged under Player Code of Conduct of the Badminton World Federation with “not using one’s best efforts to win a match” and “conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport.”

Yacob Rusdianto, secretary general of the association known as PBSI, remarked the same ban from participating in all national and international tournaments until December 3 was also handed to their coach Paulus Firman. Rusdianto added that “the disqualification at the Olympics was already a heavy punishment for Polii and Jauhari.”

Rusdianto reiterated call of the country for future Olympics to return to a straight knockout tournament in order to prevent manipulation of the draw and the Badminton World Federation would be discussing future formats in November.

Indonesia’s head of badminton, Erick Thohir, said the team was not told to lose and added that the country’s team was there at the Olympics to win medals and not to lose them. Thohir added that there was no direction from the Indonesian Badminton Association to tell the players to lose.

The head of the world’s highest sports court, Matthieu Reeb, said the expelled badminton athletes could have taken their case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). The Secretary General of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) said the procedure is quick and free and would have been practical for them and would have provided a legal answer to this question before leaving London.

pdf_iconDownload in PDF: Temporary Bans Slapped On Scandal-Tainted Shuttlers